Wednesday, May 18, 2011

BECOMING


“The Final Judgment is not just an evaluation of a sum total of good and evil acts—what we have done. It is an acknowledgment of the final effect of our acts and thoughts—what we have become. It is not enough for anyone just to go through the motions. The commandments, ordinances, and covenants of the gospel are not a list of deposits required to be made in some heavenly account. The gospel of Jesus Christ is a plan that shows us how to become what our Heavenly Father desires us to become.”

D. H. Oaks

BECOMING

What am I becoming, is it everything I can
Am I someone useful, to my fellow man
Am I a good example, of what we all should be
Are my actions, beliefs and words, all in harmony

Everyday I’m living, am I living well
If someone else was watching, would my story tell
That my life’s intentions, were good, fine and true
Or do my actions come across, differently to you

Am I hypocritical, or am I simply human
Do I hold myself, to the same heights I hold you to
Am I unforgiving, judgmental, and unloving
Or do I come across, as a person who’s accepting

In my heart are many truths, but also so much pain
In my mind are many faults, and I can be quite vain
I can be unhappy, and so create no joy
I strive to overcome my faults and good thoughts to employ

I long to feel serene and surround myself with beauty
I wish to live a long life, of goodness and of purity
My actions and desires, they don’t quite meet as yet
I’m trying to remember who I am, and not forget

I seek help from my family, and those who show me love
And also from the things I’ve learned, of my home above
Negativity, depression, these creep into my mind
And when I alter how I live, I sometimes become blind

The pain and suffering of this life is difficult to bear
Sometimes it seems there’s no one in my life that really cares
But there are times when I feel love, shining bright and true
And then I know I’m on the path, doing what I should do

I’m striving to achieve the life I dream of, in the quiet
But in this loud, confusing world, I sometimes can forget
So I place things around me, to help remind me daily
What traits I want, what traits I need and who I want to be

I need to learn forgiveness, both for myself and others
How can I say I’m loving, if I can’t forgive my brothers
I hope they will forgive me too, together we will see
It’s so much better, for us all to live in harmony

We’re all so busy with the little things we do each day
We forget to think of others, to listen and to pray
But when we take the time to perform an act of kindness
It generates much growth in us, brings forth happiness

These are the things I think of, when I pause to ponder
How can it take so long to grow and change, it makes me wonder
That very thought then logically, will turn my mind to see
I believe in change and that it takes eternity

So if I always keep on going, and I focus on my growing
I will remember my dream is, to never stop becoming
There’s always hope, I cannot quit, not ever, so it seems
I must endure until the end, to reach all of my dreams

-Liz
5/18/11


1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you wrote this! This is awesome Liz!! I miss you. When are you coming to Springville again? Are you up for a visit soon?

    ReplyDelete